Saturday, April 28, 2012

An Affordable Razor at Last - The Wilkinson Sword Tech 3

I've wandered the land in search of an affordable razor.  I hate having to pay $15 or more for refill cartridges.  I finally found what I was looking for at Walmart - The Wilkinson Sword Tech 3 Razor.  The Razor and two cartridges sold for only $5 and a five-pack of refills only cost $5.

Men's Razor Review: Wilkinson Sword Tech 3 Razor 

 


The inexpensive Wilkinson Sword Tech 3 provides a substantial looking razor with a flexible head, two safe 3-bladed cartridges that incorporate a lubricating strip of all natural aloe, and a holder. At $5, it really cuts the cost of shaving!

The rebellion started as I approached the cash registers at my local Walmart. I thought I'd throw a package of Razor blades into our cart. I saw that Gillette Mach 3 razor blades were well over $13 a box for 5 cartridges. Other razor blades were selling for nearly $20 a box. Shockingly razor blades were priced high enough to actually impact my budget. Then, I saw a new Wilkinson Sword Tech 3 razor with two cartridges for $5 and noted that 5 replacement blades were only $5. That fit my budget perfectly. Plus, I recognized Wilkinson Sword as an longstanding brand of razors and their crossed sword logo looked cool. The deal was closed when I saw that the blades were actually made here in the United States. I threw a new Wilkinson Sword razor into my cart.

For the money, the inexpensive Wilkinson Sword Tech 3 provides a substantial looking razor with a flexible head, two safe 3-bladed cartridges that incorporate a lubricating strip of all natural aloe, and a holder. I waited for the weekend to use my new razor because I wanted to take my time and put it to the test on a little stubble. In the meantime, I did a little research on the company. They were actually founded in 1772 when Henry Nock set up a workshop to make guns in London. In 1804, Nock passed away and his son-in-law James Wilkinson took over the business. They primarily made guns, swords, and bayonets. In 1889, the company formally incorporated as Wilkinson Sword. The venerable British company has changed hands many times since then, merged with Shick, and is now wholly owned by Energizer Holdings. Wilkinson Sword has been making razors and blades since 1890.

Of course, my real question was can all that history make my whiskers and stubble history? I put my new razor to the test at the bathroom sink on a two-day layer of stubble. I didn't do anything special for my test and simply used hot water and a thin layer of Edge Shaving Gel for Sensitive Skin. First, I drew my Wilkinson Sword Tech 3 from it's plastic and cardboard package and took a good look at it. The razor has a wide head and balances towards the front. The Tech 3 is a little larger and a tad heavier than my Gillette Mach 3 Turbo which balances more towards the rear of the handle. The Wilkinson Sword Tech 3 razor has a solid feel with a shiny metal top and a grippy rubber bottom.

The good news is that it was a perfectly fine razor. Using the Tech 3, it was very easy to to cut through my stubble without nicking myself or missing any trouble spots. The razor also cleaned up easily.



The Wilkinson Sword Tech 3 proved to be an economical way to get a close shave. With replacement blades priced at only $5, it will also be easy to pick up new blades any time. I'm very glad to finally be leaving $14 replacement blade packages behind. My new Wilkinson Sword promises to slash the cost of shaving. Viva la revolution!

No comments:

Post a Comment